All students between the ages of 14 to 17 are required to obtain a work permit to be employed in the state of Massachusetts. Work Permits are issued at Bristol-Plymouth Regional Technical School in the Main Office.
Work Permit Process
- View and download the application for 14-17 year-old workers.
- Follow the instructions on the application to complete the form.
- Bring the work permit application form to your employer and they will complete the first page (promise of employment). On the second page of the application, you and your parent or guardian will sign. Each of these signatures are required. If you are 14 or 15 years old, you will also have to obtain your physician's signature.
- Bring the completed application and proof of age (birth certificate, passport, or driver's license) as indicated in the application packet to the Bristol-Plymouth RTS Main Office.
- Bristol-Plymouth Designee will review the application and issue the student an Employment Permit, as long as they are in good standing (see FAQ below for details).
- The student must be present in order to obtain a work permit.
- The student will provide the Employment Permit to their employer.
- The work permit is valid as long as the student is employed in the same job. If the student changes jobs or employers, a new work permit is required.