Program DescriptionWould you like to find the cure for cancer? How about solving world hunger? While these may seem like unrealistic goals, they are possible with a career in biotechnology. Biotechnology is the use of living material to engineer useful products. It is famous for solving crimes, creating biofuel, designing new drugs, and other medical advances. Biotechnology is a growing field of study that is the future of science. The four year technical program at Bristol-Plymouth Regional Technical School will give you the skills you need to pursue any field related to biotechnology. You will become proficient in a long list of laboratory techniques, make connections with people in industry and academia, and even design and explore topics of interest to you!
- OSHA/EPA/Right-to-Know Safety
- CPR/First Aid
- Lean Six Sigma
- Experimental design
- Calibration, maintenance, and repair of laboratory equipment
- Manufacturing process management techniques
- Basic laboratory workplace instrumentation (pH meter, digital scale, spectrophotometer, autoclave, electrophoresis, microscopes, centrifuges)
- Sterile and aseptic technique
- DNA fingerprinting
- Solution preparation
- Maintaining micro-organisms and animal cells in culture
- ELISA/Western blotting and other immunosorbant assays
- Enzyme assays
- Management and entrepreneurial skills
- Computational modeling of molecules
- AP Biology and AP Statistics
Program of Study
Freshman Year: Safety procedures, First Aid/CPR certification, basic laboratory skills, basic microscopy, microbiology, solution preparation.
Sophomore Year: DNA techniques, cloning, protein and enzyme techniques, cell and organelle isolation, evolution, experimentation and design, reading and writing for science, career exploration.
Junior Year: Animal cell culture and transformation, separation and purification of compounds with chromatography, Lean Six Sigma certification, biomedical engineering, HOSA preparation and competition, bioethics, independent experimentation and design.
Senior Year: Co-operative experience in local industrial or academic facilities, internships in local industrial or academic facilities, participation in science symposiums and conferences, review biotechnology techniques and theories, independent project.
- Laboratory technician
- Animal technician
- Greenhouse/Field technician
- Water quality technician
- Quality assurance technician
With further education:
- Research associate
- Clinical research associate
- Sales associate
- Marketing director
- Safety compliance officer