- OSHA/EPA/Right-to-Know Safety
- CPR/First Aid
- Lean Six Sigma
- Experimental design
- Calibration, maintenance, and repair of laboratory equipment
- Manufacturing process management techniques
- Basic laboratory workplace instrumentation (pH meter, digital scale, spectrophotometer, autoclave, electrophoresis, microscopes, centrifuges)
- Sterile and aseptic technique
- DNA fingerprinting
- Solution preparation
- Maintaining micro-organisms and animal cells in culture
- ELISA/Western blotting and other immunosorbant assays
- Enzyme assays
- Management and entrepreneurial skills
- Adobe Photoshop
- Computational modeling of molecules
- AP Biology and AP Statistics
Program of Study
Freshman Year: Safety procedures, First Aid/CPR certification, basic laboratory skills, basic microscopy, microbiology, solution preparation.
Sophomore Year: DNA techniques, cloning, protein and enzyme techniques, cell and organelle isolation, evolution, experimentation and design, reading and writing for science, career exploration.
Junior Year: Animal cell culture and transformation, separation and purification of compounds with chromatography, Lean Six Sigma certification, biomedical engineering, HOSA preparation and competition, bioethics, independent experimentation and design.
Senior Year: Co-operative experience in local industrial or academic facilities, internships in local industrial or academic facilities, participation in science symposiums and conferences, review biotechnology techniques and theories, independent project.
- Laboratory technician
- Animal technician
- Greenhouse/Field technician
- Water quality technician
- Quality assurance technician
With further education:
- Research associate
- Clinical research associate
- Sales associate
- Marketing director
- Safety compliance officer